Please reload

Recent Posts

Stockport Town Launch New Club Badge

July 9, 2018

Please reload

Featured Posts

Litherland Remyca 5-3 Stockport Town - Match Report

September 1, 2016

Stockport Town conceded five for the second successive match as they lost 5-3 away at Litherland Remyca on Wednesday night in the Hallmark Security League.


The Lions came into this match on the back of a 5-1 home defeat to Division One’s strong starters, Whitchurch Alport at Lambeth Grove. Litherland meanwhile had drawn 1-1 away at Chadderton as they returned home to Litherland Sports Park.


From the opening minute of the match there was high pressing from both sides, a real battle to maintain possession, including a freekick inside 60 seconds after Litherland’s back-pass was caught by both referee and linesman.


Litherland had the ball in the back of the Town net after six minutes but their celebrations were cut short after the referee disallowed the goal following a foul on Town goalkeeper Daniel Whiting.


The deadlock was broken in the 14th minute after Ruben Abreu’s well-timed through ball found George Blackwell, as the winger beat Remyca’s keeper to the ball and neatly chipped round him into an empty net.


However Town’s lead lasted just two minutes following the luck of the crossbar. Colin Quirk’s deflected freekick cannoned back off the bar and into the path of captain, Colin McDonald, as he headed home via the underside of the crossbar.


Following a tense 10 minutes of possession football Whiting produced a wonderful tackle to prevent James McGrane from going in front after going one-on-one with the Town keeper.


The referee’s assistant was called into action once again the half after Michael Boyle’s free header from inside the area clipped the crossbar and was adjudged to have crossed the line by the official who swiftly raised his flag for a goal.


Just five minutes from the break and Stockport were this time the side to equalise within minutes, Blackwell once again with the strike after a looping cross was cleared into his path before he volleyed home.


The second half got underway with Town once again pressing forward in search of a third but it was another defensive error that allowed Litherland to take the lead once again.


Following a quick freekick down the right, the ball was played right across the Town goal as Stephen King was there to tap in at the back-post.


Boyle then grabbed his second of the match in the 69th minute to make it four for Litherland, and it Stockport hard as morale dropped.


Substitute Niall Gannon then made it five on the night as Litherland put the result to bed with 15 minutes remaining.


Liam Bennion grabbed one back in the 90th minute for Town but there was to be no mighty comeback as the home side played out the remainder of the match to secure all three points.


The victory saw Remyca rise up to 4th in the Division One table, meanwhile Stockport dropped one place to 18th.

Please reload

Follow Us
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Club Sponsors & Partners

© 2015 by Stockport Town FC Company Number: 08885015

Mailing List