Please reload

Recent Posts

Stockport Town Launch New Club Badge

July 9, 2018

Please reload

Featured Posts

Lions Bounce Back At Ashton

April 17, 2017

Stockport Town bounced back from derby day defeat to overcome Ashton Town 2-0 in the Hallmark Security League at the Ashton Town Stadium on Easter Sunday.


A brace from Ben Halfacre either side of half-time saw Dave Wild’s Lions roar back into form with a dominant display following Good Friday’s home defeat against local rivals Cheadle Town.


With just 48 hours separating the fixtures Stockport were looking to put their derby day woes behind them and they did so with a dominant display against a struggling Ashton side.


Early chances from midfielder Alec Mudimu saw the Lions pile on the pressure early in the first half and dictate possession inside the Ashton half.


Midway through the first half the away side were awarded a penalty following a foul on Adam Stubbs inside the area, and Halfacre stepped up to fire the ball home and give his side a deserved lead.


As the half progressed it was clear to see that Wild’s message to his players was to put the match to bed early and Mudimu came close to doubling the lead but his strike at the back post struck the post before being cleared by Ashton.


Aaron Dwyer and Jamie Hinchliffe would come close for Stockport before the break but despite the waves of attacks on Ashton’s defence, the visitors only went in at the break one-nil up.


The second half saw a continuation of Lions pressure on Ashton’s defence, penning them into their own half and forcing them to play long.


Just 10 minutes into the restart and Halfacre secured his second of the game. Dwyer crossed in from the right wing and Halfacre, completely unmarked, duly headed home much to Wild’s delight on the touchline.


As the visitors continued to control the ball Hinchliffe came close again before Halfacre almost had his hat-trick but his shot was well saved and pushed out for a corner.


Despite a comfortable lead and controlling the game since minute one, Stockport and Wild were faced with a difficult final 10 minutes as, having already made all three substitutions, Dwyer was forced off through injury.


To make matters worse for the Lions, they were then reduced to nine men as second half substitute, Syrone Allen, pulled up with a groin injury and was also forced off.


Wild resorted to making changes in his formation to fill in any gaps and despite the advantage in men Ashton could not muster up a late comeback as Stockport saw out the match and secure all three points.


The Lions are back in action this Saturday as they return to Stockport Sports Village for their final home fixture of the season against St Helens Town, the first club to inflict defeat on Wild’s Lions since taking over. All the action gets underway at SSV at 3pm.

Please reload

Follow Us
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Club Sponsors & Partners

© 2015 by Stockport Town FC Company Number: 08885015

Mailing List