Please reload

Recent Posts

Stockport Town Launch New Club Badge

July 9, 2018

Please reload

Featured Posts

Lions Equal Club Record With Oswestry Hammering

April 22, 2018

Stockport Town returned to winning ways in style following a thumping 7-0 victory over FC Oswestry Town on Saturday afternoon in the Hallmark Security League.


Both sides arrived at the Lions’ home, Stockport Sports Village, looking to get their end of season form back on track as the 2017/18 campaign reaches its climax. But it is fair to say that after Stockport’s 4-2 defeat to Nelson on Tuesday evening, no one saw Saturday’s performance coming.

 Stockport, managed by Jake Davies until the end of the season, struck through topscorer Ben Halfacre (2), Jesurun Uchegbulam (2), Ruben Abreu, Luke Hincks and Matthew Hanson. Visitor’s Oswestry struggled through much of the match as the Lions ran out comfortable winners and equalled the club record for biggest wining margin.


The match got off to a great start for the home side as a good run of play ended with striker, Halfacre, curling a shot passed Louis Mackin, however the ball came back out off the post as Oswestry cleared the danger.


As the Lions began to boss the game and string a number of passes together, Justin Pickering came close wth a fantastic effort on the half-volley but his shot dipped just over the crossbar. Just minutes later and Stockport had the crossbar rattled as Uchegbulam cut inside before seeing his left-footed strike cannon back of the woodwork.


Davies’ side were testing Oswestry from the first minute, but had to wait until the 36th minute to open the scoring. Halfacre, after receiving the ball just inside the Oswestry penalty area, turned on the spot before curling his shot past Mackin in goal.


After that the floodgates appeared to have opened as just two minutes later Uchegbulam had his first of the game, with Abreu’s corner not being held by Mackin, the Lions winger tapped in from a few yards out to double the hosts lead before half-time.


Following the restart Stockport got going in fine style as Abreu all but put the result to bed after a neat one-two with Pickering outside the penalty area before the former tucked his shot inside the bottom corner past on outstretched Mackin.


The Lions continued to dictate play as Oswestry looked to on their legs with just under 25 minutes left to play, but the home sides scoring wasn't to end there. Conor Downes played a delighted through-ball to find Uchegbulam inside the box, and the winger duly fired his shot into the far corner.


The 69th minute saw Downes almost make it five after latching onto a loose ball 30-yards out before unleashing a ferocious shot on target. However Mackin was on point to tip the ball over, however it would be a matter of minutes before he was picking the ball out of his own net again.


As the away side began to through everything forward in search of a consolation goal, Davies’ Lions hit them on the counter attack as Uchegbulam’s cross looked to have bee steered home via an Oswestry defender’s boot, however Lions striker Halfacre in fact glanced the ball home to make it five and grab his second of the game.


With just over 10 minutes remaining in the match and Stockport refused to stop at just five, as Uchegbulam took a quick corner and found Hanson inside the area. The left-back cuts inside onto his left foot before slotting his shot through bodies and passed Mackin.


However that was just the icing on the cake as Hincks placed the cherry on top with an exquisite curling effort from outside the penalty box. His shot curled and dipped over a helpless Mackin and nestled into the top corner to take Davies’s side into seventh heaven.


The match began to peter out as the Lions controlled the ball for the final 10 minutes of the game, but not without trying for a record 8th goal of the game and set a new club record for biggest win. However despite no further goals, Stockport had done themselves proud and turned Tuesday’s misery on its head with an outstanding display as the referee brought the game to a close.


The result saw Davies' side match a club record win after Stockport Town's previous 7-0 victories over Whitchurch Alport and Ashton Town in recent years.


The Lions know that their season is well and truly not finished yet as they prepare for an away trip to Daisy Hill on Monday evening in a Division One clash.


This weekend also brought double delight for Jake Davies as his Young Lions U21’s side secured a place in the North West Under-21’s Development League Premier Division Cup final following a resounding 3-0 win over Rylands FC in the semi-final.


A number of under-21’s have broken into the Lions first-team over this campaign and many fanswill be cheering them on in both the U21’s final, to be played at Moss Rose on Sunday 29th April, kick-off 7pm, as well as the Cheshire Senior Cup final against Nantwich Town on Wednesday 2nd May, kick-off 7:45pm.

Please reload

Follow Us
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Club Sponsors & Partners

© 2015 by Stockport Town FC Company Number: 08885015

Mailing List