top of page


Barnton 2 – 0 Stockport Town FC

Saturday 12th March 2022 @ Townfield, Barnton FC

Attendance – 136

Town’s starting line up – Oliver, Essien, Lomakin-Rogers, Turnbull, Ebhote ©, Wrench, Macfarlane, F.Green, Elstone, Tanswell – Vargas, Jackson. Subs; Harrison (GK), Osifo, Seidenari

MOM – Harrison Lomakin-Rogers

Defeat at a Blustery Barnton

Town traveled to Barnton, just outside Northwich looking to rekindle their early form under Paul Turnbull’s with a number of first team players unavailable and injured. Town fielded a very young squad which included signing Fenton Green, who joined the Lions on Saturday morning on a dual registration from Hyde United.

Town wearing their Bright Yellow away kit started well, competing and battling and it was Town who should’ve taken the lead on 11 minutes, as Macfarlane slipped the ball through to Elstone who was through on goal, one on one with the Barnton keeper, but his poked shot bobbled wide.

Player/Manager Turnbull was next to threaten as he picked up a loose ball just inside the Barnton box, but his half volley was blocked and cleared to safety.

Again Town pushing for a breakthrough, this time debutant Lomakin-Rogers who won the ball back brilliant, he played a brilliant through ball to Elstone, but his shot cannons off the post and to safety. Town well on top at this point and Oliver’s goal was rarely threated so far.

Stockport Town did put the ball in the back of the net, with Tanswell-Vargas flicking a beautiful back heel into the Barnton net, however as Town were celebrating the linesman raised his flag for offside. No appeals from Town but this seemed to give Barnton confidence.

With 38 minutes played, Barnton threatened but a great last ditch tackle from Wrench denied a clear chance. But back came Barnton and on 43 minutes they took the lead, Town being caught on the counter attack, the Stockport defence looking to play offside but Barntons No 7 Amir Hajri broke free and fired past Oliver in the Town goal. The referee then brought the half to an end, somehow the Lions finding themselves behind.

Now attacking up the steep hill at Townfield, Town found it difficult to gain any momentum and in an un eventful first 15 minutes of the second half, Town made their first change. Macfarlane was replaced by another debutant Seidenari.

On 66 minutes Barnton again threatened on the counter attack but they wasted the chance as the shot went high and wide. However it was 2-0 just 2 minutes later as again Amir Hajri used his pace and trickery to catch the Lions on the break and once again, found himself one on one with Oliver and he fired into the net.

The closest Stockport came to pulling a goal back or finding a way back into the game came in the last 5 minutes as a long range Elstone shot from all of 25 yards clattered the bar and went over into the car park via the Food Hut roof.

A disappointing afternoon for Town who go into another bust week with a Macron cup game away at Cammell Laird on Tuesday 15th March, followed by a big Home Match against struggling Rocester on Saturday 19th March at SSV, Kick off 3pm.


Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page